The Diamond Hard Floor Varnish by Ronseal is the ultimate floor varnish that offers excellent protection whilst delivering outstanding, long-lasting colour. This unique formula is suitable for application on unvarnished and previously varnished floors, allowing you to rejuvenate old flooring and give it another life.
It's ideal to apply this product at room temperature above 10°C. When applying this product to unvarnished floors, you should sand across the whole surface, using either an electric sander or a 120-grit sandpaper. Whilst doing this, you should wear a face mask, and afterwards, you should clean the floor, removing the dust using white spirit and a cloth or hoover.
With floors that have been previously varnished, you should lightly sand the surface with 120-grit sandpaper. If the old varnishing is flaking, you should sand it all away so it's back to the bare wood. As mentioned above, this should be done while wearing a face mask and any dust cleaned using white spirit and a cloth/hoover.
- When cracking the tin open, thoroughly stir it to ensure no lumps in the mixture.
- Using a 4" brush, start from the furthest corner of the door, working along the floorboards, ensuring you apply an even coat across.
- Allow 2 hours to pass before applying a second coat.
- Before applying the 3rd coat, you should lightly sand the surface using 240-grit sandpaper; this helps the final coat reach an optimal finish.
- You'll be able to walk on the floor 2 hours after application but should wait 24 hours before re-introducing furniture back into the room. In 72 hours, the diamond-hard protection will be active.
After 72 hours have passed and the diamond-hard protection has activated, you can clean the surface as normal, and it would help if you did this to preserve the quality of the floor varnish. Any tools used during the application can be cleaned using warm, soapy water. If you notice any surface damage over time, lightly sand the affected area and re-apply another 3 coats.